About Robert Powers
Robert Powers is an experienced litigator as well as a transactional attorney. Robert Powers serves as outside general counsel to over 100 businesses located through the United States at any given time. Counsel ranges from compliance and mitigation issues to prevent litigation, drafting and negotiating contracts, and litigation as a last resort. He has negotiated and drafted several multi-million dollar contracts involving IP licensing and assignments, business acquisitions, asset purchases, and employment-related contracts. Robert Powers has litigated matters involving business disputes before Virginia Circuit and Federal Courts; trademark disputes before Virginia and District of Columbia Federal Courts as well as the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the United States Patent and Trademark Office; copyright and other intellectual property disputes before Virginia and District of Columbia Federal Courts; and employment matters before the Department of Labor and Virginia Federal Courts.
- Business Services
- Business Litigation
- Consumer Law
- Labor & Employment
- Lawsuits & Disputes
- Local Counsel
- Intellectual Property
- Successfully obtained a $228,000 judgment in a contested trial involving a dispute between business owners, while also successfully defending a counterclaim derivative action.
- Successfully obtained an $800,000 judgment in the Eastern District of Virginia in a business conspiracy case involving a commercial development project.
- Successfully defended his clients, obtaining a defense verdict, in a complex case involving claims of conversion and gross negligence in a two-day jury trial.
- Successfully obtained a six-figure judgment at trial in a breach of contract dispute involving a commercial construction project.
- Successfully obtained a six-figure settlement in product liability action.
Successfully obtained a six-figure settlement in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Successfully obtained a six-figure settlement in a lawsuit involving a shareholder dispute.
- Successfully obtained an award for damages and attorney’s fees in a two-day arbitration.
- Successfully defended a construction subcontractor at trial in a breach of contract case involving claims for back charges.
- Successfully obtained judgment on behalf of a tenant for damages and attorneys’ fees after a multi-day contested trial.
- Successfully obtained judgments for treble damages and attorneys’ fees in Virginia Consumer Protection Act lawsuits.
- Successfully defended employers from claims under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Fair Labor Standards (FLSA) at summary judgment.
- Successfully represented both landlords and tenants in the negotiation of complex leasing agreements and at trial.
- Successfully appealed estate litigation to the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Assisted numerous clients with their business start-up, including the drafting of articles of organization, articles of incorporation, operating agreements, conflict of interest policies, bylaws, and other formational documents.
- Michigan State University College of Law, East Lansing, Michigan J.D., Juris Doctor
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida B.S., Bachelor of Science Major: Business Management
Professional Honors & Activities
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
- Virginia’s Legal Elite Award in Intellectual Property
- Selected to Virginia’s 2020 Legal Elite in the category of Business Law
- Selected to Super Lawyers Rising Star list 2019-2021 for Business/Corporate
- Specialty Certification from Michigan State University of Law in Corporate Law
- Specialty Certification from Michigan State University of Law in Communications and Intellectual Property Law
- Virginia Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Speaker on Intellectual Property Issues in The Age of Live Streaming hosted by the National Business Institute
- Presented to the Board of Directors of the Junior League of Northern Virginia, Inc. on liability exposure to and fiduciary responsibilities of Officers and Directors
- Virginia Continuing Legal Education Speaker in Unleashing the Power of Microsoft Office and Adobe for Lawyers provided by the National Business Institute
- Presented a CLE on Successful Hiring and Recruitment Steps hosted by the National Business Institute
- Virginia Continuing Legal Education Speaker about Nonprofit Board Governance and Liability Oversights hosted by the National Business Institute
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Zeta Beta Tau
- District of Columbia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Virginia Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Alexandria Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals