Download Outlook vCard
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Copyright Law
- Employment Law
- Entertainment Law
- Wills, Trusts & Estates
Mr. McClanahan is a Fairfax, Virginia native who was trained at Michigan State University College of Law, a top ten academic program for intellectual property law. Mr. McClanahan provides knowledgeable and compassionate legal expertise to individuals and businesses in a variety of legal issues including business law, employment law, intellectual property, litigation, and negotiations.
Mr. McClanahan has successfully litigated matters in Virginia federal and state courts, including several multi-million dollar claims. He represents individuals and businesses, both large and small, to ensure that their legal rights are protected and enforced. Throughout his practice of law, Mr. McClanahan has worked with and litigated against several AmLaw 500 international firms, having taken part in cases with legal issues ranging from intellectual property licensing, business acquisitions, and contract enforcement and defense.
In addition, Mr. McClanahan has assisted clients in business planning and growth, as well as, advocating on clients' behalf during business negotiations. Mr. McClanahan uses his experience as a litigator to advise his clients on how to setup and maintain compliance and to draft and revise contracts to better protect their interests.
A life-long Washington D.C sports fan, Mr. McClanahan enjoys watching his favorite teams, traveling, and going to the movies.
- Successfully represented John Doe’s in a reverse class action bit torrent case.
- Successfully pursued and defended employees and employers in wrongful termination and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) cases.
- Successfully defended employees in breach of contract case regarding covenant not to compete.
- Represented members of a limited liability company (LLC) in a derivative lawsuit against a manager of the company.
- Successfully defended former partner of a limited liability company (LLC) in a breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of trade secret case.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated intellectual property licensing agreement, which included elements of patent, trademark, and trade secret licensing valued at more than $25,000,000.00.
- Represented a limited liability company (LLC) in successfully drafting and negotiating a patent licensing agreement for more than $15,000,000.00.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated multimillion dollar intellectual property collaboration agreement for security software.
- Successfully represented businesses in complex contract and fiduciary litigations.
- Successfully represented business owners in drafting complex startup and investor funding documents, including convertible notes and seed funding documents.
- Successfully represented business in drafting and negotiating acquisition documents for another entity. Those documents were later used successfully to enforce the terms of the agreement in favor of the client.
- Successfully represented businesses in negotiation of complex commercial leasing agreements.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Michigan State University College of Law, East Lansing, Michigan
- J.D., Juris Doctor
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Philosophy
- Sigma Phi Epsilon
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
Professional Honors & Activities
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
- Virginia’s Legal Elite Award in Business Law
- Presented an all-day course on Gift and Estate Tax to accountants, CPA's, and Attorneys for 6 (live) Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits to attendees.
- Active and certified member of Clarus Business Advisors.