About Dirk McClanahan
Dirk McClanahan is a Fairfax, Virginia native trained at Michigan State University College of Law, a top ten academic program for intellectual property law. Dirk McClanahan has successfully litigated matters in Virginia federal and state courts, including several multi-million dollar claims. In addition, he represents individuals and businesses, both large and small, to ensure that their legal rights are protected and enforced. Dirk McClanahan has worked with and litigated against several AmLaw 500 international firms throughout his law practice, having taken part in cases with legal issues ranging from intellectual property licensing business acquisitions and contract enforcement and defense.
- Business Services
- Business Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Lawsuits & Disputes
- Local Counsel
- Trusts & Estate Planning
- Intellectual Property
- Successfully represented John Does in a reverse class action bit torrent case.
- Successfully pursued and defended employees and employers in wrongful termination and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) cases.
- Successfully defended employees in breach of contract case regarding covenant not to compete.
- Represented a limited liability company (LLC) members in a derivative lawsuit against the company manager.
- Successfully defended former partner of a limited liability company (LLC) in a breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of trade secret case.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated intellectual property licensing agreement, which included patent, trademark, and trade secret licensing elements valued at more than $25,000,000.00.
- Represented a limited liability company (LLC) in successfully drafting and negotiating a patent licensing agreement for more than $15,000,000.00.
- D’Ambrosio v. Wolf, et al., 295 Va. 48, 809 S.E.2d 625 (2018); Mr. McClanahan prevailed in the appeal of his client’s Petition to the Supreme Court of Virginia based upon estate litigation. The trial court dismissed the plaintiff’s claims during a plea in bar. However, the trial judge’s ruling during a plea in bar was reversed by the Supreme Court of Virginia, and the case was remanded back to Circuit Court for further proceedings. This appeal involved res judicata, collateral estoppel, and judicial estoppel issues.
- Knowledge Link, Inc. v. Melanie Downie, et al. (Fairfax, VA, CL-2016-16111); Mr. McClanahan successfully defended his client, an individual defendant, in this action who was sued for more than $141,000,000. This case involved claims for breach of contract, Virginia Uniform Trade Secrets Act, Breach of Fiduciary Duty, and Tortious Interference with Business Expectancy.
- Jae Seok Rhee v. Seunggeon Kim, et al. (Fairfax, VA, CL-2019-01756); Mr. McClanahan prevailed after a three-day bench trial where the court awarded judgment in favor of his client, the plaintiff, recovering $100,000 in compensatory damages, $100,000 in punitive damages, as well as attorney fees, for a total recovery of more than $200,000 to the plaintiff. The case involved claims including breach of contract and fraud in the inducement. The last settlement offer up to the date of the verdict from the opposing party was $65,000
- Alnoor Travel & Tours, LLC v. Rendezvous Travel & Tours Corp., et al. (Fairfax, VA, CL-2015-10828); Mr. McClanahan prevailed after a two-day bench trial where the court awarded judgment in favor of his client, the plaintiff, with a verdict of $15,000 against one Defendant and $79,500 in compensatory against a second Defendant plus $200,000 in punitive damages. This case involved claims for breach of contract and fraud.
- Arcsoft Consulting, LLC v. Arges, LLC et al. (Alexandria, VA, CL-14-4697); Mr. McClanahan prevailed after a five-day jury trial where the jury awarded judgment in favor of his client, the plaintiff, for $357,033 for breach of contract and $93,815.94 for tortious interference with a contract. This claim involved complex contract and business tort claims between government contracting entities.
- Michigan State University College of Law, East Lansing, Michigan J.D., Juris Doctor
Professional Honors & Activities
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
- Virginia’s Legal Elite Award in Business Law 2015, 2016, and 2020
- Selected to the 2016-2021 Virginia and Washington D.C. Rising Stars list for Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- Active and certified member of Clarus Business Advisors
- Presented an all-day course on Gift and Estate Tax to accountants, CPAs, and Attorneys for 6 (live) Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits to attendees.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
Virginia Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Virginia Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Alexandria Bar Association