Download Outlook vCard
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Copyright Law
- Employment Law
- Entertainment Law
- Trademark Law
- Wills, Trusts & Estates
Receiving his legal training at a top ten program for intellectual property law in the United States, Mr. Powers is a graduate of Michigan State University College of Law. In addition to earning his Juris Doctorate, Mr. Powers holds dual specialty certifications from Michigan State University College of Law in Corporate Law and Communications & Intellectual Property Law.
Mr. Powers is experienced in transactional business and nonprofit law, intellectual property law, employment law, estate planning, and entertainment law. He has negotiated and drafted several multi-million dollar contracts involving patent licensing and assignments, business acquisitions, asset purchases, wills and trusts, and pre-litigation settlement matters.
In addition to a vast array of transactional experience, Mr. Powers has litigated matters involving business disputes before Virginia Circuit and Federal Courts; trademark disputes before Virginia and District of Columbia Federal Courts as well as the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the United States Patent and Trademark Office; copyright and other intellectual property disputes before Virginia and District of Columbia Federal Courts; and employment matters before the Department of Labor and Virginia Federal Courts.
Throughout his practice of law, Mr. Powers has worked and negotiated with and litigated against several American Law 500 international firms. Through his education and experience Mr. Powers has gained both the knowledge and the cunning necessary to provide world class legal service to his clients.
A native Floridian, Mr. Powers enjoys spending time on the ocean, watching football, new technology, reading, traveling and spending time with his family and friends.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated intellectual property licensing agreement, which included elements of patent, trademark, and trade secret licensing valued at more than $25,000,000.00.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated multimillion dollar intellectual property collaboration agreement for security software.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated stalking horse asset purchase in a commercial bankruptcy working with bankruptcy trustee and creditors.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated multimillion dollar acquisitions of and for multiple corporate entities.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated acquisition of assets and intellectual property of multiple corporate entities.
- Successfully drafted and implemented corporate framework and patient record protocol procedures for medical practice in transition.
- Successfully represented business owners in drafting complex startup and investor funding documents, including convertible notes and seed funding documents.
- Successfully represented businesses in negotiation of complex commercial leasing agreements.
- Successfully represented hundreds of defendants in torrent copyright infringement cases.
- Successfully represented businesses in complex trademark disputes, which included contemporaneous trademark trial and appeal board and federal or state court proceedings.
- Successfully obtained 501(c) exemption status for multiple nonprofit organizations.
- Successfully negotiated multiple contracts by and amongst known celebrities, artists and other entertainers.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Michigan State University College of Law, East Lansing, Michigan
- J.D., Juris Doctor
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- Major: Management
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- Business Enterprises
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Zeta Beta Tau
Professional Honors & Activities
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
- Virginia’s Legal Elite Award in Intellectual Property
- Specialty Certification from Michigan State University of Law in Corporate Law
- Specialty Certification from Michigan State University of Law in Communications and Intellectual Property Law
- Presented to the Board of Directors of the Junior League of Northern Virginia, Inc. on liability exposure to and fiduciary responsibilities of Offices and Directors of a nonprofit organization
- Virginia Continuing Legal Education Speaker in Unleashing the Power of Microsoft Office and Adobe for Lawyers provided by the National Business Institute